Monday, March 08, 2004

HONG KONG PROPERTY

After a week of dithering I've taken the plunge and bought a flat in HK! 508 sq feet in a new block in Kennedy Town. In London that would be a studio. In Hong Kong it's a 2 bedroom flat.

The process itself was worth the money. After Mrs Chariot and I decided to take the plunge and pout in a bid we were ushered into room with the agent who showed us the flat. The Landlord's representative was in the next door room. There was then 30 minutes of slapstick comedy as the agent shuttled back and forth between the rooms passing prices and messages around. Finally we agreed on a price - an 8% discount to the original asking price, including the agent paying stamp duty and legal fees.

Then came the most fun bit. To seal the deal a 5% deposit was required.

"do you take Visa?"

"certainly"

Where else in the world can you buy a flat on a credit card? The flat is worth the money if only for the Asiamiles from the credit card.

I have to pay another 5% on Wednesday, and the balance on completion in a month.

I also got a call within 3 hours from the agent telling me that another flat had sold but only with a 5% discount "so you have already made money. Would you like to buy another one?"

Hmmmmmm - I haven't made anything till I sell the place, and if I wanted 2 I would have said so at the time..... still full marks for effort!

So if anyone knows someone who wants to rent a shoebox in a very local part of town from mid-April I will pay commision in beer for referrals.