Tuesday, March 02, 2004

CRIME IN HONG KONG

When we moved 6 months ago to a place on The Peak we were warned by lots of concerned locals that The Peak is a hotbed of crime, with hordes of marauding mainlanders fleecing people left, right and centre. So far in 6 months we have heard of 1 break-in in which a camera was stolen. Hardly a crimewave. And now I have more proof of how generally law-abiding Hong Kong is.

Our car is not parked in a big, secure underground carpark, but under a "carport" - effectively just under a roof with all 4 sides open. I recently returned from a 10 day business trip to find that I had left the roof down on my car (admittedly not the most valuable car in HK), and also had somehow managed to leave the keys in the ignition (pretty stupid even by my standards). It was still there however. Do that in London and it'll be gone in minutes, even if it's a Skoda.

and now I see this sort-of-heart-warming tale. It turns there is crime in HK, but the thieves are so polite they take care to make sure their victims are found and looked after.

What a civilised place.