Tuesday, March 30, 2004

The 7s

So it's all over for another year. That makes it 4 sevens tournaments I've been to (3 here and the inaugural Sevens World Cup in Edinburgh in 1993), every one of which has been won by England. I would ask the RFU to make me an official lucky mascot and send me to every tournament England play in but I actually think that would kill me. To be honest England didn't look as good as they did last year. They definitely missed Henry Paul, and were behind early-on in every single knockout game. The Fijians were clearly better in the forwards and won most scrums and a lot of turnover ball, the South Africans gave them a good scare in the backs, and in the final the Argentinians harried them like terriers but ultimately lacked any game plan other than run like mad things. We were saved by the pure speed of Richard Haughton, the dogged determination of Simon Amor and the ability of Pat Sanderson to make ground and suck in defenders with some direct running.

As for the non-rugby side... marvellous. Not an ounce of trouble anywhere that I saw or heard about, but huge quantities of beer consumed in various boxes, the tent, Wan Chai and L.K.F.. All sad and predictable I know but why go against a formula that has worked for years? Had 2 mates turn up from New York for 4 days and 2 from Singapore all of whom have gone home as pale shadows of their former selves, as I was yesterday.

Just about back up to speed now but it'll be another couple of days before I am at 100%

Thank God it only happens once a year.