Sunday, February 01, 2004

SUNDAY

It's about 11.30 on Sunday morning. About the time the day used to start before I dicsovered the joys of fatherhood (he's coming up to 7 months old) and dog-ownership (not my idea - I blame her indoors). I can't wait till he becomes a stroppy teenager and just wants to lie in bed all day. As long as he does it quietly it sounds perfect to me - I certainly won't be ordering him up and out, in fact I may lock the door to make sure he stays there.

Anyway on to a story which distressed me so much I coouldn't bring myself to mention it yesterday - the cruel defeat of Leicester Tigers at the hands of the villainous Frenchmen (and 1 Italian/Argentinian) from Stade Francais. As feared our back line wasn't up to the job despite looking good initially, and missing 5 penalties out of 6 highlights how much we are missing Tim Stimpson at full back. We got a couple of early scores, but then the french clicked into gear and we had no answer. A sad way for Neil Back to mark his 300th appearance for the club.

How the mighty are fallen. From all-conquering masters of European rugby to making up the numbers in about 2 seasons. My only hope is that it shows the growing strength of European rugby and rising standards in the club game now that the professional game has bedded down, and hopefully means the North can maintain a hold on the world cup at the expense of the Southeren Hemisphere.

There is now not much left for Tigers to play for in the season - we are stuck in the middle of the table and out of the domestic cup competition, so all that is left is trying to ensure a high enough finish to get back into european competition next year.

Bugger....