Monday, February 02, 2004

BIRD FLU - TOTAL DEATHS NOW 12

Bird flu virus claims more lives

Again, to put this in perspective, the most-affected countries where this disease has appeared...

Thailand has 63 million people
Vietnam has 81 million people
Indonesia has 220 million people
China has 1,289 million people.

I would suggest that there are a lot bigger killers out there than bird flu.

I'm sorry but this is still a long way away from scaring me, despite the WHO's best efforts. It will clearly have an impact economically though. I had lunch today with 2 australian clients passing through on their way to London. Both refused to eat chicken or duck despite Hong Kong having no bird flu cases, and the WHO stating that cooked meat is totally safe. If it goes on for long then the tourists will start to stay away and we are back in the SARS scenario. I predict more people will die from the economic hardship needlessly created by the WHO's scaremongering than by the virus itself.