Monday, February 16, 2004

POLLUTION
As the more perceptive of you may have noticed, Hong Kong is prone to air pollution and smog (or as the govt weather service insists on calling it - "haze"). I have to think about this as I am mildly asthmatic (although in fact I have had far fewer problems here than I did in London). On bad days the gov't advises people not to go outdoors or do exercise, and I have noticed some people wearing masks on these days which I can sort of understand even if I think they don't make any difference.

Today however I noticed several people walking along with either a handkerchief or, even more pointlessly, a hand over their mouths and noses. I suppose a handkerchief might conceivably keep some of the gunk out, but a hand? These are tiny particles we're talking about. They're not the size of large flying insects. If they were you'd be able to dodge them and not have to worry. Walking along with your hand over your mouth just makes you look stupid. It doesn't help at all. It also won't defend you against bird flu.

Pull yourselves together.