Sunday, February 15, 2004

6 NATIONS - THE PLOT SO FAR

15 minutes to go till England take on Italy. Mrs C has gone to bed, our little charioteer is asleep, the dogs are asleep. I am the only member of the house awake so I thought I'd take a moment to review the opening 2 games last night, and I must say I'm feeling quite smug. The opening 2 games fell within my predictions.

France beat Ireland by 35 to 17. Sadly I only saw the highlights but France looked very good. Certainly they look to be the boys to beat so far.

Wales 23 Scotland 10. Wales looked great and got off to a flyer but Scotland managed to stem the flood and scored a consoltaion try in the dying minutes to bering the final margin within my prediction of 10-15. Looks like Scotland v Italy to decide the wooden spoon, unless of course tonights game goes seriously awry for England.

Which brings me to me England v Italy prediction of 45 to 50 points. It sounds very bullish and arrogant, but I think the only way the final score won't be at least close to that sort of scoreline is if England ease up late on once the game is won. Itlay will be hard and physical and will probably do ok in the opening exchanges but I think the English teams superior strength, skill and fitnesss will tell as the game goes on, ands the floodgates will open up.

Now the anthems are starting and it's time to go. Weekend report to follow tomorrow.

Swing low sweet chariot,
Coming for to carry me home....