Monday, February 02, 2004

I can't remember who it was who was mentioning a "ring of fire" after a trip to Jo Jo Mess on a recent post, but whoever it is, this might appeal...

'Ring of Fire' headed to Preparation H ads2004-01-30 11:46 (New York)


NASHVILLE, Jan. 30 (UPI) -- Johnny Cash's classic "Ring of Fire" may soon be
heard on Preparation H ads, in a twist to the song's meaning that the co-writer
thinks is hilarious.
Merle Kilgore, who wrote the classic country song with the late June Carter
Cash, said the coincidence is that he used to make hemorrhoid jokes about the
song when he performed it onstage during his 20 years on the road, Nashville's
Tennessean reported Friday.
"I'd say, 'Ladies and gentlemen, I want to give credit where credit is due. I
dedicate this song to the makers of Preparation H,'" Kilgore said. "And they
would just fall out. So when the song publisher called and told me about it, I
said, 'I can't believe it!'"
TV producer Sula Miller of Big Grin Productions in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., is
the mastermind behind the song's new life.
The idea came to her when she heard "Ring of Fire" on the radio at a time when
she herself was struggling with the medical condition in question.
The actual inspiration behind the song was the passion between Johnny and June
Carter Cash in the early days of their romance.