Thursday, February 12, 2004

WHAT IS IT ABOUT AUSTRALIANS AND DEADLY CREATURES?

CAVES BEACH, Australia, Feb. 11 (UPI) -- An Australian shark bit into the leg
of a stubborn man who wrestled with it, dragged it from the sea and drove his
car to get help removing it.
Luke Tresoglavic told the Australian Broadcasting Corp. he was swimming near
Caves Beach Tuesday when a Wobbegong shark latched on to his leg.
"I just instantly grabbed hold of it with both hands as hard as I could to stop
it shaking," he said. "I just realized I had to swim in like that, hanging on
to it."
Several people on the beach tried to pry open the jaws of the 23-inch shark,
found only in southern Australian waters, but had no success.
"So I got up into my car and then drove to the clubhouse and luckily the guys
down there had a clue what to do," Tresoglavic said.
The lifeguards ingeniously hosed the shark's gills with fresh water, weakening
it sufficiently for its jaws to be pried apart.
Tresoglavic was treated for 70 small puncture wounds. The shark did not survive.