Friday, August 13, 2004

OUCH!

Small headache this morning resulting from a "quick drink" in Dublin Jack last night which led to several more quick drinks, and then on to a head-wetting in the Globe where the evening took on a very amusing tone.

I found myself talking to a russian girl called Svetlana (sp?), from Vladivostock apparently. She was blond, about 5ft 10 and very good looking. It seems she has been in HK for 8 years, having married a Chinese guy, despite not speaking a word of either Cantonese or Mandarin, or much English for that matter (given her level of English now, after 8 years in Hong Kong, I can only imagine 8 years ago she barely spoke a word).

(Un)surprisingly she has now divorced this guy and is living with an Englishman who was at the head-wetting (hence my surprise at her level of English). Now I am not a great expert on, or appreciator of, the male form (unlike the governor of New Jersey) but even I could tell that this guy was particularly unprepossesing. 5ft 8ish, pasty white, dorky glasses, even dorkier haircut, wobbly and flabby in all the wrong places. Now I may be being cynical here but I suspect that it may be his chequebook she loves not him - though I'm sure he couldn't give a stuff.

Still it's nice to see that the stereotype of fat ugly gweilos only going out with attractive asian girls is wrong!

And I never did find out what line of work first brought her to HK or how she met her first husband......


P.S. if anyone finds a blackberry, it's mine!