Thursday, April 01, 2004

KILLINGS IN FALLUJA

This has roused me from my apathy. While I am deeply suspicious of the real reasons for the U.S. invasion of Iraq, and very cycnical about the whole thing being just a way to guarantee a friendly major oil-producer for the States, I also don't think anyone deserves to be killed, cut into small pieces, burnt and then hung from a bridge - especially if they are merely trying to deliver food as appears to have been the case.

It is also quite sickening to see anyone rejoice at this.

So I actually admire the U.S restraint that has been shown. From the coverage on CNN it seems the whole town was involved so it must have been sorely tempting for the Americans to simply block off the roads and massacre every one of the little bastards, preferably with blunt, rusty machetes to save bullets and ensure plenty of pain. In fact the more I see it on CNN the more I am sure if I was in charge I would have given in to such temptation.

Sadly though it does show that the U.S. may have got itself into a bit of a hole. If they clamp down and meet fire with fire, a la Israel, then they will just escalate things (as the Israelis have shown), If they leave (either before or after a new governement is up and running) these people will claim victory and no doubt attempt to take over the country again, if they stay they will be subject to more of these attacks.

Not sure there is an answer to the problem.