Tuesday, April 06, 2004

THE BASIC LAW

Surprise surprise. China has decided that is has the final say in Hong Kongs political development and so effectively has a power of veto over any move to universal suffrage.

Given that China brutally and effectively suppresses any dissent or talk of democracy, I don't really think anyone could have expected any other outcome. They can't let democracy get a foothold here as it is bound to lead to discontent on the mainland.

Unfortunately for Beijing they do not control the Hong Kong population, and have no power to lock up dissenters or leaders of oppostion we do still have freedom of extpression and assembly here... for the moment. All this "internpretation" is likely to do is lead to further protests over the coming months, and this years July 1 protest march will probably outdo last years turnout of 500,000.

And as for democracy? Personally, I have to admit I'm not that bothered. At the risk of expounding a slightly contrarian view I'm not entirely sure universal suffrage is such a great idea anyway.

I've never understood why people assume every moron should be able to vote. The debacle in Florida in the last presidential elections in the States proves my point. If people are too stupid to be able to put a mark next to the correct name or make a hole in the right part of the ballot paper then frankly I don't think they should have a say in who leads the country. How can they be expected to make a rational and informed choice about a leader in light of the candidates proposed fiscal policies, budgets, taxes, domestic and foreign policies etc etc when they can't understand a piece of paper with a list of names on it?

I'm afraid the freedoms I mentioned earlier are way more important to me than universal suffrage. I'll be on the street (or more lilkely a plane) when they start to "interpret" those but the democracy thing doesn't get me going I'm afraid.