Wednesday, April 21, 2004

JUST DO IT

Went to buy a new pair jogging shoes last night (i used to refer to them as running shoes but as my age increases and speed decreases I think it's time to admit that really they're for jogging - in fact soon i'll have to call them "brisk walking" shoes).

I thought this would be a simple exercise but apparently not....

The first hurdle was finding any shop that stocks UK size 11 shoes - most seem to stop at size 10 and requests for size 11's drew blank looks at 1 shop and an outburst of giggling at another. Finally ended up in the Nike shop by L.K.F. which stocks size 11.

Then came the second problem. Since when were running shoes so unbelievably ugly? They all seemed to have a multitude of day-glo colours, alarming flourescent bits of plastic, and neon soles (except for 1 pair that actually seemed to have little lights in them - I kid you not). These things must be designed by 4 yr olds on a sugar rush - it's all primary colours and inexplicable bits of foam, plastic or some other man-made substance. It's hard enough trying not to look a complete idiot when you're only going just above walking pace as it is without having light shows strapped to your feet. I mean what's wrong with old-fashioned colours like white? or grey? or black? Bring back Dunlop Green Flash I say.

Or am I just getting old(er)?



I can console myself with the thought that you know what they say about men with big feet.....



they wear big shoes...