Monday, November 08, 2004

ROGER BINGHAM 1968-2004

Was away on business on Thursday and Friday last week. Heard while I was away that a friend from college had died from complications after surgery for cancer. He was 36, rarely drank more than a beer or two, a fitness and sport nut who played Rugby till his knees had no cartilege left and then took up Triathlons just to make certain.

I saw him at the wedding I went to in July and while I knew he had had some health problems he appeared in rude health and on fine form. He was even asking about how to go about doing the Maclehose (as if I'd know).

How can someone who didn't wreck themselves daily at college and was almost overly health-conscious be struck down like that so young when everyone else just sails on, still drinking and smoking themselves into a stupor and doing no exercise.

I've been trying all weekend to get my head round it and I can't. He is the first person of my little circle to die from a disease like this.

I can't really think what else to say, so I shall fall back on quoting the ever-reliable Blackadder (or in this case Captain Darling, who had just been informed he was being posted to the front just ahead of "The Big Push") to sum up my feelings on hearing the news.

"Made a note in my diary. It just says "bugger""