Thursday, January 29, 2004

Just had 1 of thoise marvellous Hon Kong experiences. I'm standing downstairs waiting for the lift. An asian woman comes and stands nearby also waitng for the lift. The lift i happen to be standing in front of arrives. I stand aside to let her get in first. she enters, immediately hits a floor and then then "close door" button - I'm just about to get in and find the door closing on the precariously balanced starbucks lattes i'm carrying. she doesn't even notice or acknowledge me and just keeps slapping that "close" button. I shoot her an evil look which she completely ignores. I would love to press every button for every floor upto and including her floor, but unfortunately she is getting out at the second possible stop.

I am tempted next time to try to shut her out, but it is futile and will only lead to "lift rage". I shall just have to persevere with my antiquated notions of manners in the hope that eventually I will scratch the surface.

And another thing - why are they so desperate to get in lifts and slam the doors and get going, but put them on an escalator and they stop dead, as though their legs do not function when standing on metal stairs?

Ahhh the mysteries of the Orient...