Thursday, January 29, 2004

BACK TO IMPORTANT MATTERS

As spotted by the Shaky Kaiser England have named their Sevens Squad for the New Zealand leg of the IRB World 7s tournament. Looks good but may struggle without Henry Paul who has earned promotion to the 6 Nations Squad. His control of a game was phenomenal.

I'm going to be in New Zealand next month but sadly will miss the NZ 7s by 1 week, which will greatly harm Englands chances. I have the proud distinction of only ever having seen 3 7-a-side rugby tournaments, all of which England have won.

I was in Edinburgh for inaugural 1993 World 7's which England won - a huge shock to all concerned (especially the Scots who were particularly unpleasant about it and thus cemented their place at no.1 in the list of most depsised Rugby / Soccer / anything else team. I will even support France before Scotland, and that takes a bit of saying for an englishman). I was then here for the HK 7s in 2002 and 2003, which coincidentally were the only other tournaments England had won up till that time.

Frankly I think the RFU should pay for me to attend all tournaments as i am clearly Englands lucky mascot. 3 tournaments and I've never seen them lose a game - what more could they ask for.