Tuesday, May 17, 2005

We have really everything in common with America nowadays except, of course, language - Oscar Wilde

I've just remembered that bizarrely watching Teletubbies gave me one of those "surely not" moments regarding the good old U.S. of A yesterday.

You know how when you put a DVD on (any DVD, not just teletubbies) you get a really annoying menu screen which takes ages to load and has a whole load of options when all you want the damn thing to do is play? Well you get that with Teletubbies too (unless you're a parent you will have no concepot of just how annoying the Teletubbies version is). So I put the DVD on last night and was presented with said screen. One of the options is language selection.

Well I had a moment of inspiration. I though given our little lad is still getting to grips with English, I could put it onto say Mandarin, or French, or Spanish or some such and get him going on those. He'll never notice and will be speaking a different language without even knowing it. Clever eh.

So I scrolled to language selection and hit enter.

What I hadn't realised is that out Teletubbies DVD came from the American shop at Fenwick Pier, and so is very very American.

When the language screen came up I was presented with two options. There was a picture of an American flag and.....

wait for it....

not the Spanish flag you might expect given the huge hispanic population of the US but....

the Canadian Flag!

In a moment of lunacy I thought maybe it might be French so I clicked on it, but no..... it is in English again, only with an even sillier accent than the American version.

Do Americans really think Canadian is a foreign language?

I have a horrible feeling the answer is Yes

Germaine - I look forward to your thoughts on this